THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN A RESEARCH PAPER AND AN ESSAY
Almost every school and college student must complete an essay or a research paper at some stage. However, students and writers, in general, have struggled to distinguish one from the other over time, resulting in confusion and even anxiety regarding the topic. This blog post will discuss and resolve the essay vs. research paper issue, with extensive and direct information on each type of writing and why they differ from one another.
Furthermore, a comparison table can be found at the end with ten key differences between a research paper and an essay to easily understand when to use each as well as the structure needed thus there are several types of essays and research papers that share some foundations but have a determined shape that must be followed.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Here at Nursing Paper Help, we present you with guidance on research papers and essays and how to produce high-quality work. We also provide you with information about the different types of reviews that may be used in your paper and their composition.
WHAT IS AN ESSAY?
The most common assignment in school and college is to write an essay, but what is it? An essay is a form of writing that allows students to demonstrate their comprehension, cohesion, and critical thinking skills about a certain topic. Usually, at school levels, the requirements for an essay suggest writing a five-paragraph piece that contains an introduction, a body, and a conclusion. College essays are more extensive but have the same structure, although more details and academic performance are required.
There are various types of essays:
- Narrative essay. This type focuses on the plot and allows students to use different writing resources such as flashbacks, flash forward, and other creative additions that add depth to the story.
- Descriptive essay. As the name states, this form of essay focuses on the details of a story, enhancing information to satisfy readers’ emotions and intellectual senses. Writers can use metaphors, connotative languages, and other writing tools.
- Comparison essay. This kind of writing article has two or more central points that are broken down and compared through the extension of the piece. Another variant of this essay is a cause-and-effect topic in which students can analyze the consequences of certain actions or the possibilities of something happening.
- Academic essay. Perhaps the most known form of an essay is the academic essay. Students are challenged to show their competitive writing and analyzing skills, exceptional grammar, and proper literature reviews. Academic essays require scholars to include the right bibliography in the appropriate format (APA, MLA, Harvard, etc.) and are typically asked to be between 3,000 and 5,000 words.
- Argumentative essay. Argumentative essays require students to argue for a certain position and explain why they support it, providing evidence and relevant information to convince readers they have moral reasons to back up that cause.
- Philosophical essay. This last form of essay writing implies students write about a point and use rational arguments to back up their thoughts and opinion.
Although there are different essay articles, all have the same basic structure to which students can later improve and add their touch to stand out from the rest. For those starting with this kind of writing scheme and needing some guidance, here’s a useful template students can customize to fit their topic or arguments and deliver an award-winning essay.
- Introduction: Introduce the topic of your essay and why it is relevant to be talked about. Writers can include personal reasons behind the subject chosen, the methodology used, and a sneak preview of the article’s readers.
- Body: The most common form of an essay consists of 5 paragraphs, 1 for the introduction, 1 for the conclusion, and 3 for the main body.
- First paragraph: This part follows the end of the introduction. Therefore, it is important to write smoothly to start talking about the first point of the essay. Here, students can include background information and relevant issues later discussed in-depth during the article.
- Second paragraph: After introducing relevant points, this second paragraph serves as a backup space in which students provide clear and official evidence to support their sayings.
- Third paragraph: This last part is typically used to address counter-claims and arguments relevant to the topic chosen. Students are required to mention and properly dismiss or explain accordingly, using evidence.
- Conclusion: A paper summary highlighting key points or arguments is commonly finished by encouraging readers to continue acquiring knowledge on the topic by providing a suggested reading list.
Essays are not as hard to write as many people might think; they do require some “non-negotiable” structure, just as the one mentioned above, as well as useful information and evidence. Spending some time drafting an essay will ensure a great outcome and make a student’s task easier.
WHAT IS A RESEARCH PAPER?
A common confusion among the writing assignments proposed in school and college is mistaking an essay for a research paper. Although they are similar, they play different roles in presenting information and the situations when required. The difference between an essay and a research paper revolves around the approaches used and adhering to the requirements provided, such as length, format, and citing.
A good research paper definition provided by Sierra College states that “a research paper is an essay in which you explain what you have learned after exploring your
topic in-depth.” The difference between a research paper and essay pieces has been addressed, but in essence, what is a research paper? Research papers are required to assess a student’s analytical skills, in which a wide selection of information must be displayed to show the writer’s competence on the topic chosen. Data, graphics, facts, statistics, and other verified forms of information are used to back up the sayings exposed in the paper.
At Nursing Paper Help writers required to write a research paper must adhere to a certain structure, which is very similar to an essay’s but differs in some points. Here’s a useful template that can be modified and filled out to comply with a professor’s requirements.
- Page title: Another difference between essay and research paper is this first part of the piece, in which students are required to dedicate a page to address the title chosen for the paper, as well as write their contact details (usually their full name, email address and class they attend).
- Abstract: An abstract works as a paper summary, highlighting key points and relevant information explained in the piece.
- Introduction: Introduce the topic and why it is relevant to be talked about. This part should be very entertaining and attention-grabber for readers.
- Background: After the introduction, the writer should include useful background information, or the literary review readers can use to know the topic better before diving into the complex details of the research. This part also proves a student’s knowledge and awareness of the chosen subject.
- Body: The body of a research paper can be divided into as many paragraphs as needed, with the length requirements properly in mind (meaning that if a professor asked for a 5-page research paper, students could decide how to structure their piece accordingly). A good thing to consider is writing a different paragraph for every new point or perspective added, such as materials used, discussion, results, etc.
- Conclusion: A summary of the research paper, concluding with the results obtained and a literature recommendation for readers to keep investigating the topic explained.
- Acknowledgments: Most research papers have this part to thank people for their support and contribution to the piece written.
- References: In this part, all of the information used should be properly mentioned according to the format required (MLA, Harvard, APA, etc.). Most professors will ask this list to be in alphabetical order and others in order of appearance, so students should consult with their tutors to avoid any misunderstandings.
The difference between essays and research papers is centered on the approach and situation used. For example, suppose very detailed topic research is necessary, with specific data and facts required. In that case, a research paper is the best type of writing form that can be used, whereas if a political opinion must be addressed and explained to others, perhaps an argumentative essay will be best to use.
Furthermore, an essay and research paper are two main forms of writing which can be subdivided into many categories with different approaches.
10 POINTS OF DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ESSAY AND A RESEARCH PAPER
This section will answer students’ questions on the distinction between an essay and a research paper. The essay vs. research paper debate may be easily resolved with the following table, which breaks down ten important distinctions between the two types of writing to put an end to the old battle between them.
|1. An essay is shorter than a research paper, usually 5 paragraphs.||1. A research paper commonly must reach at least 8 pages, depending on the assignment.|
|2. Essays showcase a student’s opinion and points of view, which several sources can back up.||2. Research articles present other people’s stand on a topic, generally a scientist’s or recognized organization.
|3. In-depth research is not generally required for this writing service.||3. Like the name states, an analytical research paper requires a comprehensive understanding and investigation of a certain topic.|
|4. Essay’s main point is to prove a student’s writing skills and capabilities.
|4. Research papers focus on a deep analysis of a matter.|
|5. Depending on the type of essay, students might need or not be familiar with the topic chosen.||5. Students writing a research paper will always need an understanding of the topic and sources chosen.
|6. Essays can expose a writer’s opinion if wanted.||6. Writers should abstain from personal opinions and only stay in line with facts.|
|7. Students can play around with the structure and perception of the paper in some cases.||7. There’s a non-negotiable structure that must be followed and closed with a proper conclusion.|
|8. There are different types of essays: narrative, descriptive, comparison, academic, philosophical, argumentative, etc.||8. Types of research papers: cause and effect, analytical, subject-based, etc.|
|9. Typically, essays have 5 parts: Introduction, 3 body paragraphs, and a conclusion.||9. Has a bigger structure, including a title page, abstract, introduction, body, conclusion, acknowledgments, and references.|
|10. Essays are not tied to a specific methodology required for their writing.||10. Research papers require a specific methodology carried out throughout the paper.|
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A RESEARCH PAPER AND OTHER FORMS OF PAPERS?
Several sorts of writing papers focus on various strategies and follow a particular structure. The same strengths exist across all of them, but they differ in how they exhibit information and evidence.
- Analytical research paper. They are used for in-depth analysis of a matter, typically exposing various points of view equally and by presenting facts and rightful evidence.
- Argumentative research paper. Requires an argument and proper investigation of a subject, as well as a lot of time to compose.
- Informative research paper. Used to provide reader information about a determined matter, in a generalized way and delivered in a shorter length than the typical research paper.
- Persuasive research paper. As the name states, the main goal of this paper is to persuade the reader into thinking like the writer, who, through this writing method, can show their incredible writing skills and abilities.
To properly deliver an academic-worthy paper writing service, it is essential to determine which research paper is required and the best approach to start writing it. It is recommended that writers create a brief outline of what the paper should be about or the topics that must not be forgotten to have some structure before beginning the research and writing process.
In general, both sorts of tasks need varying abilities and levels of research complexity. Essays are shorter and go toward expressing the author’s viewpoint with evidence. A research paper is more difficult and necessitates a thorough study of the subject plus the presentation of diverse scientists’ viewpoints and the conclusion writer. If you’re having trouble with your college assignments, you may hire a professional writer from Nursing Paper Help service to assist you. We work on any paper on any subject and deliver high-quality results right on schedule.